Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Caitlyn's Experience



Before Johannesburg, we explored Cape Town, South Africa. Unexpectedly it was frigid and cold, temperatures no one was anticipating: temperatures I never imagined South Africa would receive. Shortly after, I realized that there would be so many unexpected sights, sounds, smells, and tastes that I would come across and have to adjust to.

 

On one side of Cape Town there were completely mesmerizing views and attractions such as Table Mountain, a mountain that towers over the luxurious city exposing the beautiful oceans and countrysides, and the Cape of Good Hope, a lighthouse that once again had a spectacular view of the countryside, including animals such as Baboons, Ostriches, and Penguins. However, the other side of Cape Town was home to many townships where people struggled everyday to simply find food for dinner. Although not appealing to the eye, visiting the Langa Township was one of my favorite memories from Cape Town. The Langa people had close to nothing in material possessions but yet they were rich in culture, community, and found strength in family. I had never been introduced to this type of extreme and heart breaking poverty before, but I came with a full heart because I realized that everyone there worked together to make positive memories, accept, love and care for each other through every struggle. It re-opened my eyes to see that to be happy not everything revolves around money, technology, and class, but around strong relations between family and friends.
 

Cape Town was only our first stop on our South Africa experience but already it became a once in a lifetime trip that I will never be able to forget. Not only did I make new friends and memories with my Ursuline sisters but I also learned so many lessons from the people and South African cultures we were introduced to. Cape Town was truly captivating and I am beyond blessed that I get to experience it.

No comments:

Post a Comment