Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Abigail's Experience



September 3rd-5th

Hello from South Africa! The past two days have been a roller-coaster for everyone. Our 28 hour journey all started at the St. Louis airport where we said good-bye to our family and hello to the adventure ahead of us. Then, we flew to Detroit, Michigan where we ran to catch our next connecting flight to Amsterdam. The Amsterdam airport was overwhelmingly big and I felt like we had to walk miles before reaching the next gate. After all of these connecting flights we were finally off to Cape Town, South Africa. Although being stuck on a plane for many hours was not fun, I loved being surrounded by people from all over the world on all of these flights. I had plane seat neighbors from Europe and the United States just like us. Overall the travel on the way here was very smooth and easy.


    When we arrived in Cape Town we were greeted by our tour guides that are taking us around the city for the next couple of days. They are both very nice and introduced themselves to each of us one by one. As we walked out of the airport I was looking around and I saw so many pictures and illustrations of Nelson Mandela (he is also on all of the rand which is South Africa’s currency). I could obviously see how important he was here. One of our tour guides later supported this observation by telling us “Nelson Mandela made South Africa free for us. There is no longer division between blacks and whites”.

On the first day of touring Cape Town, we visited Table Mountain and the District Six Museum. Table Mountain provided an outstanding view that looks out above Cape Town. To get up to the top we rode in a gondola lift that shuttled us up on a cable. The views were breathtaking and the sights were so good that it made up for it only being 4 degrees up there. Ground level temperatures this time of year in Cape Town are in the comfortable upper 50s. I had two sweatshirts on but I regret not packing a heavier coat! At the District Six Museum there were many pictures and street signs on display from before Apartheid. I learned Apartheid means “complete separation” and in South Africa it was specifically a system that forced black people out of certain areas in Cape Town and declared those areas for whites only. We spoke with an elderly man who was living in District Six when Apartheid took place and it was very interesting.


As I bring this to a close, I realize how incredible it is that I am here. I am so grateful and blessed that I was able to participate in this once in a lifetime trip. It is so exciting to experience new things and I cannot wait to see what comes next!

No comments:

Post a Comment