Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Haley's Experience

I am so thankful to be a part of Ursuline's Global Education program. Hosting Agathe for the past two weeks has been so amazing. The age and culture difference were no barriers for us, because we were more alike than I could have expected. From family life to social activities, I was paired with the perfect match. She has become more than just a "match" to me; she has become a good friend.


We had so much fun throughout the time she was here. We went to Chicago the first weekend she was here. The weather was crazy, and we ended up making a joke about it for the rest of the trip. When we got to Chicago it was snowing, but twenty minutes later the skies would be clear and there would be full sun. This constantly switched off for the rest of the day. (In Nantes it doesn't snow, so she was excited to be able to see it in person). We visited the bean and Willis Tower, as well as shopped for hours on end. We were able to take her to a Blues game and opening day at Busch Stadium to watch the Cardinals (bringing home wins for both games!).



My family and I immersed her in the American culture the one way we knew how: food. She had her first "breakfast for dinner" with us, which included pancakes, sausage, and fruit. We took her to Fritz's Frozen Custard so she could have her first concrete. And of course, we had burgers and ribs. We took her to Favazza's on the Hill for real Italian food, included Saint Louis' famous toasted ravioli.


Honestly though, the simple car rides to and from school and the dinner time conversations are what I am going to miss the most. I will miss not having someone to laugh with on the way to school and not hearing about her field trips during the day at school. Time flew by so quickly, but I will always cherish the moments I was able to spend with Agathe.


-Haley Stelzer-Monahan, '16

No comments:

Post a Comment